Today was such a beautiful spring morning. I felt so inspired to cook a yummy breakfast and to do some necessay spring cleaning later. I decided to make Berries & Creme Stuffed French Toast.
1. 1 loaf of challah bread. (You can find this bread at Trader Joes)
2.1 8oz package of cream cheese at room temperature
3. 1/4 cup of strawberry jam
4.1/2 teaspoon of grated lemon zest
5.3-5 Tablespoons of salted butter
6. 1 cup of whole milk
7. 3 Large eggs
8. 1 Tablesppon of brown sugar
9. 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
Powdered sugar for dusting; maple syrup for the serving
1. Cut the challah bread in 2 in segments. Then cut a horizontal slit in the bread. This will create a pocket for the filling.
2. In a mixing bowl beat together the cream-cheese, jam, and lemon zest together. Then fold in the blueberries. Spoon the mixture into each pocket of the bread.
3. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and transfer it to a 9x13 inch baking dish. Whisk in milk, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon.
4. In a large skillet or griddle set over medium heat,melt the 2 tablespoons of butter.
5. Working in batches put each stuffed slice into the milk mixture and let soak for about 10 seconds. Add the soaked slices to the hot butter in the skillet. Cook until or golden brown. Add more butter if needed.
6. Serve warm topped with a few blueberries and dust with powdered sugar. Then add maple syrup if desired.
Much love Chelsea xoxoxox